FlaglerChat.com Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Money Waste

Closed Thread
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #1
trpkap
Oracle of Wisdom

Credits: 22,717
trpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regard
Default Money Waste

Every time we go out on I95 and head northbound, just before hitting the Flagler/St. John's County line there is a big expensive looking bridge that crosses over Interstate traffic for the wild animals to use as a safe place to cross. It has tree planted on this cross over bridge. In all the years that this bridge has been there, I have yet to see an animal (or person) using this costly looking bridge. And I've never been able to figure how the wild animals would even have sense enough to use the bridge. I have often wondered whose idea this "animal crossing" bridge was. JMO, I think there would be much better uses for all that money. Maybe some kind hearted rich person/animal lover donated it?
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Tricie
Farewell to Arms

Tricie is held in the highest regardTricie is held in the highest regardTricie is held in the highest regardTricie is held in the highest regardTricie is held in the highest regardTricie is held in the highest regardTricie is held in the highest regardTricie is held in the highest regardTricie is held in the highest regardTricie is held in the highest regardTricie is held in the highest regardTricie is held in the highest regardTricie is held in the highest regard

I'm pretty sure that I have seen hikers and a couple of people on horseback crossing there. But it has been a while.
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #3
OldCdog
Justice of the Realm

Credits: 3,081
OldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regard

Visit our local treasure---The 1500 acre Princess Place Preserve! That bridge you called a waste of money is the unique land bridge that spans Interstate 95, connecting the Florida Agricultural Museum lands with those of the Pellicer Creek Corridor. This bridge is solely for equestrian, hiking, and wild animal use and is one of two in the entire nation. I hiked across it when it first opened. It is mostly used as one of the many equestrian trails there--It's kind of fun to encounter Horses and their riders rather than the usual bikers seen on most of the paved walking trails around here!

Old November 20th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #4
trpkap
Oracle of Wisdom

Credits: 22,717
trpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regard

Thank you CDog - I get lost outside my everyday routes. 'ya solved the mystery for me.
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:14 AM   #5
Who Dat
Farewell to Arms

Who Dat is held in the highest regardWho Dat is held in the highest regardWho Dat is held in the highest regardWho Dat is held in the highest regardWho Dat is held in the highest regardWho Dat is held in the highest regardWho Dat is held in the highest regardWho Dat is held in the highest regard

It would be a neat place to put up some infrared game cams and see how much use it does get! I betting many would be surprised!
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:57 AM   #6
OldCdog
Justice of the Realm

Credits: 3,081
OldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regard

Quote: Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
It would be a neat place to put up some infrared game cams and see how much use it does get! I betting many would be surprised!
I agree---I bet the night movement of animal life across it would be surprising---there are fences all up and down I-95 preventing animals from entering the
highway, but here it is channeled to do exactly this across the overpass.

Old November 21st, 2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Starfyre
Lady of Divine Faith

Credits: 46,066
Starfyre is held in the highest regardStarfyre is held in the highest regardStarfyre is held in the highest regardStarfyre is held in the highest regardStarfyre is held in the highest regardStarfyre is held in the highest regardStarfyre is held in the highest regardStarfyre is held in the highest regardStarfyre is held in the highest regardStarfyre is held in the highest regardStarfyre is held in the highest regardStarfyre is held in the highest regard

I am going to hedge a bet that it saved the animals who probably were used to crossing in that region, before the highways came into being. I would bet there were a lot of accidents caused by the deer crossing onto the highway at that point, and the reson you may never see them is many animals move at night. I agree, infra red cameras would probably show us a lot of activity at night!
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:44 PM   #8
catspaw
Wandering Gypsy

Credits: 1,654
catspaw has yet to show true colors

In case you didn't know, there are stop lights on each side of the bridge to tell the animals when it is ok to cross or not (it is only used at night when it is too dark for the animals to see if it is safe to cross). The City of Palm Coast installed the first red light cameras on that bridge before trying it out on the "people" roads. They found that by putting bar codes on the animals' backsides that they could figure out which animals were not obeying the rules of the woods!!

Just kidding!!!!
Closed Thread