FlaglerChat.com Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Maggot in Pistachios purchased at Walgreens

Closed Thread
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #1
mistieroze
Lost on a Quest

mistieroze has yet to show true colors
Exclamation Maggot in Pistachios purchased at Walgreens

Recently I picked up a multi-pack of Deerfield Farms Pistachios at the 24-hour Walgreens. Yesterday afternoon, I wrestled with the small package because they never want to open for me, they are sealed so well. Finally, I'm enjoying my nuts when I open a darker than normal shell and see a DEAD MAGGOT inside of it. There was a shape actually carved out of the nut itself inside the shell where this maggot apparently once lived. Then I guess it died in the shell, packaged, delivered and purchased by me. EWWWW!

I contacted Walgreens who owns this private label brand. They want me to return the package, nut and maggot to the store so they can send it back to the actual manufacturer. What would this do? Prove that I'm not lying? Why on Earth would one lie about something like this? They also offered me a refund of my bag of nuts. Woah, a whopping $3.00 or whatever it originally cost me. I also asked if they would report this to the FDA or if I should. The lady on the phone informed me that they contact the FDA. I don;t just know about that. I will be calling the FDA on Monday just in case they forget to report this.

So WARNING! check your pistachios if you purchased them from Walgreens. You may have purchased an unexpected maggot. Ugh!
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Beachtime
Oracle of Wisdom

Beachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regard

I don't think I will be buying pistachios anytime soon.
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #3
computacat
Justice of the Realm

Credits: 81,396
computacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regard

At least you'll get your $3 back, and they didn't charge you extra (for the surprise)
Old August 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #4
yellowjersey
Lost on a Quest

yellowjersey is off to a good start

Maggots always get the bad rap.
Well it’s good to know little pesticide was used in the process! You can survive a maggot; chemicals can have a longer lasting effect. Yeah it’s kinda gross, but I doubt it will kill ya!

These Kutzadikaa Indians used to mainly eat maggots (well, the pupae) for main meals:
http://www.monolake.org/about/kutzadikaa

I actually ate some while visiting Mono Lake: simply tasteless (other than the salt). The state part official actually offered. Was just curious, not being manly.

They are used in fishing industry as bait.

There are even maggot breeders.

The FDA has approved maggot therapy for wound healing and may be used on non-healing ulcers. They can even destroy certain Staph bacterium that some typical antibiotics can not.

Here is a standard of the # allowable maggots in food:
http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/CompliancePolicyGuidanceManual/ucm074642.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/opinion/13levy.html

Note: the bag had one...a single dead one.

I would think venting your surprise here is sufficient for your relief, and honestly I would have given you $10 just to eat it, as so many humans have before, so how about lettin’ the FDA focus on more important matters like diseases?

POWER to the maggots!!!

Everyday amazes me how over-civilized we have become, so much so as not be civilized. Soon doctors will be administering and prescribing raw dirt to their patients just to get us back on track with the real world.

Hey…um,m, which Walgreens? I am getting’ that afternoon snack maggot urge….
Old August 29th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #5
gracie
Lost on a Quest

gracie is held in the highest regardgracie is held in the highest regardgracie is held in the highest regardgracie is held in the highest regardgracie is held in the highest regardgracie is held in the highest regardgracie is held in the highest regard

I was eating a burger once and opened the lid, as I always do before I eat a sandwich I didn't make. There was one of those centipede looking things with pinchers smashed into the top bun. Fresh, too. I gave it back, they took it to the kitchen and returned it to me with another bun, (same burger).
Old August 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #6
trpkap
Oracle of Wisdom

trpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regardtrpkap is held in the highest regard

Eeuuuuuw! I was eating a Baby Ruth candy bar once that had a maggot in it - yuch. Ya' have to be carefull with nutty things. I think we'd all be surprised at all the unseen things that we bring home w/us. Once I bought a green pepper and didn't realize that there was a HOLE in it, so I cut into it and found that a WORM had made the hole. No more holey green peppers for me.
Old August 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #7
delton46
Fearless Crusader

delton46 is off to a good start

What is worse than findung a worm in your green pepper?

Finding 1/2 a worm!
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #8
2young2liveinPC
Removed from the Island

2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard2young2liveinPC is held in the highest regard

And some even pay money for worms!!
Mezcal Tequila

The worm (el gusano)
Main article: Mezcal worm

The worms as served at Restaurante Villa Maria in Polanco, Mexico City.

The "worm" (sometimes more than one) commonly seen in bottles of mezcal is actually the larva of one of two kinds of insects. The most common type is that of the agave snout weevil. [1] [2] The "red worm" or gusano rojo is the caterpillar of the Hypopta agavis moth, one of the several kinds of "maguey worm", found on the agave plant. (Agave worms are sometimes found in the piña after harvesting). Many brands contain such worms. Some are named after the worm itself, as in Gusano Rojo and some are even named for the number of worms, e.g. Dos Gusanos, "Two Worms". Inside the mezcal, however, the worm is more a marketing substance, as it has lost its nutrients inside the bottle. Nacional Vinicola (NAVISA) was the first company to add a worm to its Gusano Rojo mezcal. Andres Paniagua and Jacobo Lozano, creators of Gusano Rojo and Dos Gusanos, first introduced the practice of adding larva to mezcal. Today there are several brands doing this.
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #9
Alndaytona
Oracle of Wisdom

Alndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regard

LoL...and yuck!!!!!
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Beachtime
Oracle of Wisdom

Beachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regard

This has turned into a most disgusting thread. Who, oh why must I keep opening it?
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #11
Sodoodle
Lost on a Quest

Sodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regardSodoodle is held in the highest regard

Quote: Originally Posted by gracie View Post
I was eating a burger once and opened the lid, as I always do before I eat a sandwich I didn't make. There was one of those centipede looking things with pinchers smashed into the top bun. Fresh, too. I gave it back, they took it to the kitchen and returned it to me with another bun, (same burger).

What're you, a magnet for this kinda crap? AWWWWWWww, that is unreal! But funny. But not.
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #12
Artycraft
Oracle of Wisdom

Artycraft is held in the highest regardArtycraft is held in the highest regardArtycraft is held in the highest regardArtycraft is held in the highest regardArtycraft is held in the highest regardArtycraft is held in the highest regardArtycraft is held in the highest regardArtycraft is held in the highest regardArtycraft is held in the highest regard

This so gross, there goes dinner.
Old August 29th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #13
Alndaytona
Oracle of Wisdom

Alndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regardAlndaytona is held in the highest regard

LOL........
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #14
Cher43
Wandering Gypsy

Cher43 is held in the highest regardCher43 is held in the highest regardCher43 is held in the highest regardCher43 is held in the highest regardCher43 is held in the highest regardCher43 is held in the highest regardCher43 is held in the highest regardCher43 is held in the highest regard

It doesn't matter where you buy pistachios..they ALWAYS have those dead bugs in them...all the years I ate them never once did I come across a bag and never find a dead, fried something in them..after awhile I learned never open the shell with your teeth..I always opened them by hand and always checked inside the shell....didn't matter what brand of pistachios I bought..they were always there.
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #15
bette
Eminent Elder

bette is well-respectedbette is well-respectedbette is well-respectedbette is well-respectedbette is well-respectedbette is well-respected

Well thanks guys you just ruined my dinner GROSS!!!!!
Closed Thread