FlaglerChat.com Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

7th Grade Shots

Closed Thread
Old April 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #1
jimliz
Oracle of Wisdom

jimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regard
Default 7th Grade Shots

OK so maybe its just me, but as usual with things here in Flori-duh, this makes no sense. We got a call from ITMS about 7th graders needing a shot. I was sure she said the state required the shot for all students entering, repeating, or transferring into the 7th grade, but I was like no way did she say repeating. However, today I read the newspaper and sure enough it says repeating. Are they really serious? So if you where in 7th grade last year, obviously had to have the shot and are retained, you need to get the same shot again? Now if you go onto the 8th grade, no shot, really what sense does that make?!?!?!?!

This doesn't affect us, but I really thouht this made zero sense....
Old April 25th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #2
TrickyRicky
Royal Wizard of the Realm

Credits: 169,411
TrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regard

What kind of shots are we talking? And why just 7th graders?
Old April 25th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Lynn aka Sunshi
Eminent Elder

Lynn aka Sunshi is held in the highest regardLynn aka Sunshi is held in the highest regardLynn aka Sunshi is held in the highest regardLynn aka Sunshi is held in the highest regardLynn aka Sunshi is held in the highest regardLynn aka Sunshi is held in the highest regardLynn aka Sunshi is held in the highest regardLynn aka Sunshi is held in the highest regardLynn aka Sunshi is held in the highest regardLynn aka Sunshi is held in the highest regardLynn aka Sunshi is held in the highest regard

LOL! Maybe it's something to do with going into 8th grade like it's a disease! LOL!
Old April 25th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Husky
Farewell to Arms

Husky is held in the highest regardHusky is held in the highest regardHusky is held in the highest regardHusky is held in the highest regardHusky is held in the highest regardHusky is held in the highest regardHusky is held in the highest regardHusky is held in the highest regardHusky is held in the highest regardHusky is held in the highest regard

I got that call, too, but didn't hear the repeating part because I sort of didn't listen because my kid is going into 8th grade and got the shots last year. Funny. TR, I forget which shots they are- chicken pox, maybe? All I know is we're set until college. The other kid, going to college next fall, was required to show proof of measles immunization (the two doses) but nothing else, which I thought was strange. I guess they figure if a kid got through k-12 they'd be set?

I must say that I appreciate how big an effort they're making to make people aware of the 7th grade shots. It floors me how many people (in years past) they had to send home the first day because parents didn't know? It's always been all over the doctor's offices and school papers, but now it's on billboards, phone calls,etc. What's next, texts?
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Kdurb011
Farewell to Arms

Kdurb011 is held in the highest regard

7th grade for me was the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella(MRR) shot, but I'd already had it when I was like 5.

Is it possible they just made a mistake? Or were covering all of their bases just in case?
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #6
lilmama08
Lost on a Quest

lilmama08 is putting a best foot forwardlilmama08 is putting a best foot forward

I believe they are asking girls in middle school to get an extra shot as well!
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #7
jimliz
Oracle of Wisdom

jimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regard

It's a Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis (Tdap) Booster. I am not saying it shouldn't be required to get into the 7th grade. I just don't understand why it's required IF a child is repeating the 7th grade. I mean if the kid got the shot to get into the 7th grade this year and they fail and are held back, are you telling me that shot is sudden no good, but if they pass and move on to the 8th grade then the shot is perfectly fine?!?!?!. Like I said makes no sense to me....

Maybe it's like an incentive to pass the 7th grade...LOL
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Kdurb011
Farewell to Arms

Quote: Originally Posted by jimliz View Post
It's a Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis (Tdap) Booster. I am not saying it shouldn't be required to get into the 7th grade. I just don't understand why it's required IF a child is repeating the 7th grade. I mean if the kid got the shot to get into the 7th grade this year and they fail and are held back, are you telling me that shot is sudden no good, but if they pass and move on to the 8th grade then the shot is perfectly fine?!?!?!. Like I said makes no sense to me....

Maybe it's like an incentive to pass the 7th grade...LOL
I don't think they require repeating students to get another shot. Just show proof they had the shot.
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #9
jimliz
Oracle of Wisdom

Quote: Originally Posted by Kdurb011 View Post
I don't think they require repeating students to get another shot. Just show proof they had the shot.
Think about it, it still makes no sense. You had to have the shot to get into the 7th grade in the first place....The school has the records, why do you have to prove anything?!?!?!
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #10
Kdurb011
Farewell to Arms

Quote: Originally Posted by jimliz View Post
Think about it, it still makes no sense. You had to have the shot to get into the 7th grade in the first place....The school has the records, why do you have to prove anything?!?!?!
My first thought is it's a mistake.
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #11
jimliz
Oracle of Wisdom

Quote: Originally Posted by Kdurb011 View Post
My first thought is it's a mistake.

Well they said it on the recording when they called the house and I read it in two different newspapers today...

Nothing much surprises me. Our daughter couldn't go to school until her shots where put on a blue slip. It looked the same as the paper we had, but ours wasn't blue, so we had to take our paper to the clinic and a nurse copied it onto a blue slip....
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #12
ready2go
Eminent Elder

ready2go is held in the highest regardready2go is held in the highest regardready2go is held in the highest regardready2go is held in the highest regardready2go is held in the highest regardready2go is held in the highest regardready2go is held in the highest regardready2go is held in the highest regardready2go is held in the highest regard

flori-duh thats a great one LMAO
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #13
aming63
Eminent Elder

aming63 is held in the highest regardaming63 is held in the highest regardaming63 is held in the highest regardaming63 is held in the highest regardaming63 is held in the highest regardaming63 is held in the highest regardaming63 is held in the highest regardaming63 is held in the highest regardaming63 is held in the highest regardaming63 is held in the highest regardaming63 is held in the highest regardaming63 is held in the highest regard

Quote: Originally Posted by TrickyRicky View Post
What kind of shots are we talking? And why just 7th graders?
TR..

Your not thinking that they are talking about whisky "shots" are you

JIMLIz,
Maybe that was a mistake on their part sort of a vocal "typo"
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #14
gracie
Lost on a Quest

gracie is held in the highest regardgracie is held in the highest regardgracie is held in the highest regardgracie is held in the highest regardgracie is held in the highest regardgracie is held in the highest regardgracie is held in the highest regard

Quote: Originally Posted by Husky View Post
I got that call, too, but didn't hear the repeating part because I sort of didn't listen because my kid is going into 8th grade and got the shots last year. Funny. TR, I forget which shots they are- chicken pox, maybe? All I know is we're set until college. The other kid, going to college next fall, was required to show proof of measles immunization (the two doses) but nothing else, which I thought was strange. I guess they figure if a kid got through k-12 they'd be set?

I must say that I appreciate how big an effort they're making to make people aware of the 7th grade shots. It floors me how many people (in years past) they had to send home the first day because parents didn't know? It's always been all over the doctor's offices and school papers, but now it's on billboards, phone calls,etc. What's next, texts?
If you're daughter's going to college, don't forget her meningitis shot. Also make sure she's immune to measles. And swine flu now, apparently
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #15
Kdurb011
Farewell to Arms

Quote: Originally Posted by gracie View Post
If you're daughter's going to college, don't forget her meningitis shot. Also make sure she's immune to measles. And swine flu now, apparently
Meningitis shot hurts. I'm surprised the only requirement was the Measles shot.

At UF the Meningitis shot is recommended, but not required and you have to sign a waiver if you don't get it. The Hep B shot I think is required, along with a bunch of other ones that people usually have before reaching high school.
Closed Thread