FlaglerChat.com Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What happens if you don't respond to jury duty?

Closed Thread
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM   #1
give110
Lost on a Quest

give110 has yet to show true colors
Default What happens if you don't respond to jury duty?

I am freaking out here....I received a summons for jury duty at the beginning of April. I filled out the form to be excused because I am a foster parent with 3 toddlers (one of the exemptions is 'expectant mothers or any parent not employed full time who has custody of a child under 6 years of age') I filled out the form the same day I got it (April 3rd) put a stap on it and took it out to the mailbox.

Fast forward to this weekend....my 16 yr old son was cleaning off the desk and brought me the envelope that I had assumed was mailed out back in April! That desk is a catch-all and a good cleaning and sorting was way over due...obviously. The only thing I can think of is that one of the kids checked the mail that day back in April, thought it was something that had come in the mail and brought it in and set it on the desk for me to find. Believe me, this is something my 10 yr old would do.

So what should I do? There's no phone number on the excusal form so I'm not sure who I would call at the courthouse. And do I really need to do anything? Do they just expect that there will be a few that don't send in the form or appear for jury duty - I'm thinking of people who go back up north for the summer or just never get it for some reason.

Help!
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Beachtime
Oracle of Wisdom

Beachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regardBeachtime is held in the highest regard

I believe they can issue a bench warrant for contempt of court. When were you to appear?
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Siren
Mistress of Magical Menageries

Siren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regardSiren is held in the highest regard

You got it April 3rd? You may want to go to the courthouse with the letter and talk to someone personally there.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM   #4
billhall0629
Loyal Commoner

Credits: 3,177
billhall0629 works well with othersbillhall0629 works well with othersbillhall0629 works well with others

You might want to call the county clerks office and explain what happened. 386 437-7433...that is for Palm Coast
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:50 AM   #5
give110
Lost on a Quest

OK thats what I'll do. I'm going to go right down there with the paper and the envelope.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM   #6
gabby71
Harem Madam

gabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regard

good luck !
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:23 PM   #7
Vicmonster
Queen Victoria of Secrets

Vicmonster is held in the highest regardVicmonster is held in the highest regardVicmonster is held in the highest regard

Please let us know, when you get back
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM   #8
Marykins
Princess of Love

Marykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regard

Let us know how you make out
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:32 PM   #9
give110
Lost on a Quest

Everything is ok, thank goodness. I was shaking trying to explain what happened LOL They were very nice and said it shouldn't be a problem since so much time has gone by but they appreciate that I brought it in as soon as I found it.

On another note, that was my first time in the new courthouse...wow! Its really nice! I wonder if Flagler county needs something so big but I guess it will eventually the way the place is building up.

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I can stop worrying about it!
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:44 PM   #10
densky67
Lost on a Quest

densky67 is putting a best foot forwarddensky67 is putting a best foot forward

I was just thinking the other day how odd that i've been here almost 4 yrs and have never been called for Jury Duty, whereas in New York my husband & I were called on a regular basis (every 2 or 4 yrs I believe)...dont get me wrong, i dont miss it but is it not as common to be called here? We are both registered voters and we each hold a valid FL drivers license (i think thats what was used up north to pull names)...just curious.
Give110...im glad it worked out ok for you!
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:04 PM   #11
Lilith
Hot Goddess Athena

Lilith is held in the highest regardLilith is held in the highest regardLilith is held in the highest regardLilith is held in the highest regardLilith is held in the highest regardLilith is held in the highest regardLilith is held in the highest regardLilith is held in the highest regardLilith is held in the highest regardLilith is held in the highest regard

Luck of the draw is all, I got called 3 times in one year, locally, and haven't been called since. I did get called for Federal Jury duty earlier this year, but didn't get selected for the jury.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM   #12
Vicmonster
Queen Victoria of Secrets

Vicmonster is held in the highest regardVicmonster is held in the highest regardVicmonster is held in the highest regard

Quote: Originally Posted by give110 View Post
Everything is ok, thank goodness. I was shaking trying to explain what happened LOL They were very nice and said it shouldn't be a problem since so much time has gone by but they appreciate that I brought it in as soon as I found it.

On another note, that was my first time in the new courthouse...wow! Its really nice! I wonder if Flagler county needs something so big but I guess it will eventually the way the place is building up.

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I can stop worrying about it!
I'm glad you made it back, without hand cuffs on
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM   #13
OldCdog
Justice of the Realm

Credits: 3,172
OldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regardOldCdog is held in the highest regard
Default Glad for Ya Give

Quote: Originally Posted by give110 View Post
Everything is ok, thank goodness. I was shaking trying to explain what happened LOL ...
On another note, that was my first time in the new courthouse...wow! Its really nice! I wonder if Flagler county needs something so big but I guess it will eventually the way the place is building up...
Nice to see they listened to your story!
Perhaps you could have swung by the jail to check that site out just in case your desktop piles up again!
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM   #14
Marykins
Princess of Love

Marykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regard

I am glad everything is ok but after I posted to keep us Posted I thought uh, can you do that from a jail cell?
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM   #15
mydarrbear
Lost on a Quest

mydarrbear is off to a good start

Remember those paper's are sent US mail, a lot of things get lost in the mail.......
Closed Thread