FlaglerChat.com Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Looking for pool service

Closed Thread
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #1
baby girl
Lost on a Quest

baby girl has yet to show true colors

currently I am paying $95.00 a month. I was wondering if any pool service does it cheaper? We have salt water chlorine system & solar heated pool. Thanks Edited by: baby girl
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #2
lancethepoolguy
Oracle of Wisdom

lancethepoolguy is held in the highest regardlancethepoolguy is held in the highest regardlancethepoolguy is held in the highest regardlancethepoolguy is held in the highest regardlancethepoolguy is held in the highest regardlancethepoolguy is held in the highest regardlancethepoolguy is held in the highest regardlancethepoolguy is held in the highest regardlancethepoolguy is held in the highest regardlancethepoolguy is held in the highest regardlancethepoolguy is held in the highest regardlancethepoolguy is held in the highest regard

Why switch if they are doing a good job? When it comes to careing for a 30 to 50 thousand dollar investment trying to be cheap is not the way to go. Pool care is not that difficult why not do it yourself. It will only take about 10 minutes a week.

Some of the greatest cost to a pool service is insurance ( liability,pool pop, automobile, and workmans comp if they have employees) followed right after that with gas and all the vehicle maintainence, next in line is of course chemicals, after that you have brushes,poles,nets,... I could go on forever. The fact is that it is a business just like any other with taxes and all the rest I have listed and more. To try and be cheap with it is a bad investment.Edited by: lancethepoolguy
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:46 PM   #3
southerngirl
Lost on a Quest

southerngirl has yet to show true colors
Default Re: Looking for pool service

How much is pool service a month?
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Marykins
Princess of Love

Marykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regardMarykins is held in the highest regard

When I had pool service I paid $95.00 per month. Might just go back to it as to me it was worth it.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM   #5
jimliz
Oracle of Wisdom

jimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regardjimliz is held in the highest regard

Quote: Originally Posted by lancethepoolguy View Post
Why switch if they are doing a good job? When it comes to careing for a 30 to 50 thousand dollar investment trying to be cheap is not the way to go. Pool care is not that difficult why not do it yourself. It will only take about 10 minutes a week.

Some of the greatest cost to a pool service is insurance ( liability,pool pop, automobile, and workmans comp if they have employees) followed right after that with gas and all the vehicle maintainence, next in line is of course chemicals, after that you have brushes,poles,nets,... I could go on forever. The fact is that it is a business just like any other with taxes and all the rest I have listed and more. To try and be cheap with it is a bad investment.Edited by: lancethepoolguy

I have to agree, if you have a salt system, why pay anything to a pool service? There simply isn't that much involved in doing it yourself. I can find better things to spend 22 dollars a week on.....
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM   #6
cbpoolcare
Lost on a Quest

cbpoolcare has yet to show true colors

I don't understand why people say things like "why would you pay for pool service"? I own a pool service business, and the reasons are varied, and many, as to why people use my service. They are part time residents, or they are elderly, or they don't want to have to absorb all the information needed to properly maintain a pool, just to site a few examples. I personally pay for a lawn service, for instance...I don't have the time or inclination to do it myself right now. You could say "why pay for lawn service"? I guess you would be right on some levels, but I have my reasons for paying for it, it's worth it to me. "Why pay to have your car washed"? I do that too. I could go on and on. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. It is a service, and therefore a personal choice if you want pay for it. I understand wanting to do it yourself to save money, just make sure you educate yourself to protect your investment, and the health of your family. A pool that is clear is not necessarily a safe and healthy pool. There is a lot of misinformation and half truths about pool maintenance out there.
Having said that, Lancethepoolguy is right...we have many expenses to cover in the pool service business. The price of pretty much everything we use is tied in some way to oil prices, and I don't have to tell you where that is going. I spend hundreds per month just on fuel.
$95 per month is within reasonable range for service. I personally do not give blind quotes, I like to come out and see the pool and it's surroundings before quoting. Remember that cheapest is not always the best value...I definitely am not the "cheapest" service you will find, but I have invested much time and effort into educating myself, attending pool industry shows, taking classes, becoming a certified pool operator, etc....and I am never done learning...when you think you know it all, is when it comes back to bite you. Ask for current customer references.
Water is the ultimate solvent. it will dissolve ANYTHING over time if it is allowed to. (See the grand canyon.) That includes your pool finish, your equipment, etc. Balancing water is an ongoing and constant battle in a pool. The fill water you use affects it, the weather, the sun, the wind, the amount of dissolved solids, bather load...on and on.
Hope this helps.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM   #7
Mom2MandMG
Oracle of Wisdom

Mom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regardMom2MandMG is held in the highest regard
Thumbs up Re: Looking for pool service

Quote: Originally Posted by cbpoolcare View Post
I don't understand why people say things like "why would you pay for pool service"? I own a pool service business, and the reasons are varied, and many, as to why people use my service. They are part time residents, or they are elderly, or they don't want to have to absorb all the information needed to properly maintain a pool, just to site a few examples. I personally pay for a lawn service, for instance...I don't have the time or inclination to do it myself right now. You could say "why pay for lawn service"? I guess you would be right on some levels, but I have my reasons for paying for it, it's worth it to me. "Why pay to have your car washed"? I do that too. I could go on and on. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. It is a service, and therefore a personal choice if you want pay for it. I understand wanting to do it yourself to save money, just make sure you educate yourself to protect your investment, and the health of your family. A pool that is clear is not necessarily a safe and healthy pool. There is a lot of misinformation and half truths about pool maintenance out there.
Having said that, Lancethepoolguy is right...we have many expenses to cover in the pool service business. The price of pretty much everything we use is tied in some way to oil prices, and I don't have to tell you where that is going. I spend hundreds per month just on fuel.
$95 per month is within reasonable range for service. I personally do not give blind quotes, I like to come out and see the pool and it's surroundings before quoting. Remember that cheapest is not always the best value...I definitely am not the "cheapest" service you will find, but I have invested much time and effort into educating myself, attending pool industry shows, taking classes, becoming a certified pool operator, etc....and I am never done learning...when you think you know it all, is when it comes back to bite you. Ask for current customer references.
Water is the ultimate solvent. it will dissolve ANYTHING over time if it is allowed to. (See the grand canyon.) That includes your pool finish, your equipment, etc. Balancing water is an ongoing and constant battle in a pool. The fill water you use affects it, the weather, the sun, the wind, the amount of dissolved solids, bather load...on and on.
Hope this helps.

Well said, CB! Some things, like my pool and yard, are best left to the professionals! And yes, I think the $90 - $95 a month we spend on it is worth it.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM   #8
TrickyRicky
Royal Wizard of the Realm

Credits: 169,582
TrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regard

Quote: Originally Posted by cbpoolcare View Post
Hope this helps.
I have to agree with you, but not only in the pool or lawn business but in any service business, i have a custom cabinet/furniture business and i can't tell you how many time people want me to build them something custom and when i give them the price they are in shock. I have compared my prices with other cabinet companies and my hourly rate for labor is 10-15.00 below there's. There is alot of people who want me to build them a thasmahall(spelling ?) for the price of a teepee. I would rather stay home and do that.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM   #9
ToddBuster
Farewell to Arms

ToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regard

You really butchered the word "Taj Mahal," but, strangely enough I knew exactly what you meant. Good job!

I agree with you, if a person wants custom, they have to pay for custom. If not, go to Home Depot and buy off the floor.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:09 PM   #10
TrickyRicky
Royal Wizard of the Realm

Credits: 169,582
TrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regardTrickyRicky is held in the highest regard

Thanks for the correction and i think you gave me a green dot but no explaination. Hey i never said i was a butcher i said i was a cabinet/furniture maker LOL
Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:14 PM   #11
ToddBuster
Farewell to Arms

ToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regardToddBuster is held in the highest regard

Quote: Originally Posted by trickyricky View Post
Thanks for the correction and i think you gave me a green dot but no explaination. Hey i never said i was a butcher i said i was a cabinet/furniture maker LOL
I did. My explaination was in my post, "good job."
Closed Thread